Friday, May 20, 2011

Getting Started Again

I am a tax professional and I really love my job. Since last July, I've lost 30 pounds.
Every year from January to April 15, my life is devoted to taxes.  During that time my eating habits go down hill. This year I only gained back six pounds. Not bad after gaining 20 pounds the previous year. So now I'm getting started on my weight loss journey... again. I can do this. It may take longer, it may be slower, but I can do it. Like the moral of the Hare and the Tortoise, "Slow and Steady Wins The Race."
I also learned some things about how to stay on the path.

1. Exercise is important. Before I started my journey, I was a couch potato. I did not get enough exercise. Now I work with a wonderful trainer, Amanda Espinoza twice a week. What a difference it has made in my life.
2. Portion control is essential. I find that I must measure my food. It is really easy to get carried away if I don't.
3. The body, mind and spirit are connected.  I also have excess baggage (mentally and physically) that I need to let go of and I do not intend to find it again.
4. Quality vs Quantity. I'm trying to eat more fruits and vegetables to my diet.

My journey is one of exercise, portion control, and cleaning up the mess. I find that I tent to start things slowly, but gain momentum as I go along. I watch the Biggest Loser Show and while  I want to lose pounds as quickly as many of the contestants do, I am not on the show and I have a life. I am going to dance to my own tune. I will be my own pace setter. I will celebrate my accomplishments and be kind to myself should I falter.

I hope you will join me on your own journey to turn your life around after 60. If you are under 60 more power to you. The sooner you get started the sooner you will finish. Let's Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment