Saturday, June 25, 2011

ChooseMyPlate.Gov's Plan for Healthy Eating

The USDA has just issued new guidelines for eating. The Pyramid is flattened into a plate. It's about time. I find the visual of ChooseMyPlate.Gov is easier to follow. I have been using that as a guideline for my diet since I learned about it. I have also been doing my research and learning as much as I can about it. There are several things that have me excited about the plan.

First, the visual of the plate gives me an idea of my portions. One-half the plate is fruits and vegetables, one-third is carbohydrates, and the balance is protein. And yes, remember that  the dairy portion is next to the plate.

Second, the focus is on portion control. I know that I am still working on controlling my portions. I don't like forcing myself to eat smaller pieces of meat, but I know that it is healthier for me. I also don't like eating all those vegetables and fruits. But, I am doing it. It is about retraining our minds and our bodies to enjoy more moderate portions. When you go to a restaurant and look at the calories of the meals, it is obvious that most meals are not designed with portion control in mind. I was at a Chinese fast-food restaurant the other day and watched the portions being given. No wonder they listed rice at 500 calories. One meal of rice and two selections could easily be over 1,000 calories. Help! We need to become smarter consumers.

Third, I am excited about the fact that the visual is more understandable. You can look at the plate and understand the proportions of the food. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or a nutritionist to understand. If you are trying to lose weight, then don't use a large plate. Use a smaller one. I also use a smaller fork, so I take smaller bits.

Fourth, there is a realization that not everyone should be eating the same number of calories. Portion control because you are using your own body as a measurement becomes more attuned to your own body.

For more information go to http://www.choosemyplate.gov/. It has a lot of interesting information on the new guidelines and well as other nutritional information.

Thank you for reading this. If you have any questions or comments, I welcome them.

No comments:

Post a Comment