Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What Do You Do When Life Just Feels Like It Is Too Much?


While I like to stay busy, sometimes I get to be too busy. These last two weeks were like that. I found myself getting frustrated, depressed and ready to just quit everything. Did you ever have one of those weeks. There is a saying "And this too shall pass". Sure enough I am coming out of this busyness on the other side.


The hardest part of being so busy is not having the time to focus, to plan, and just plain enjoy yourself. We really do need to learn to smell the flowers along the way. Usually this happens for me because of demands on my time by other people. However this time, it was caused mainly by an increased teaching schedule. I teach taxes and had a six hour class on a Saturday and a midterm study session with another class on Sunday. Both needed to be done. 


In the process, I asked myself, what could I have done differently?
How could I have managed my time better? It seems that as long as we are alive and doing, we need to think about how we manage our time. I tend to get caught up in doing things and forget about the managing aspect of it. There is so much I would like to do, but I need to look at my priorities. Ouch. Sometimes, that is a painful experience. Why? Well, for me,  it is anyway. I want to help people, to do things and sometimes the time lines seem to get entangled. 


What I learned in all of this is I need to make sure I get enough rest. Since I frequently have trouble sleeping, that can be a challenge, but I have found that there are things I can do to help me relax. I love to read, and enjoy computer games and listening to music. When I get too busy, I have learned to make sure I have time to do these before I go to bed. It actually helps me sleep. 


I have also learned to say "no" to others as well as myself. I can't do everything. I have to pick and chose. I may not like it, but that is the way it is. 


Getting the scheduled events in, because they are scheduled, is not the problem. It is getting those things done that are unscheduled. So, I am finding that those too need to be scheduled at a time that will allow me to get them done. Sounds simple, doesn't it. But it is not. Other things keep getting in the way. But truth be told, I enjoy being busy, I just don't enjoy being frustrated because I can't get something done. But we do learn.


This week I worked more hours than usually. It is the last week of electronic filing for the tax season. As a tax professional, I worked more hours so that those clients who waited until the very last minute could get their taxes done. I guess I am not the only one with a time management problem. 


I cut back on some things, I planned some relaxation time, and by the end of the week felt better than I had in awhile. I even got some good sleep...once I got to sleep. 


So, we move on to the next week. My point in all this is we need to check ourselves every so often. Sometimes, we need to rethink our priorities at least for awhile. Life does throw us curve balls from time to time and we need to move with them. In the end, we emerge victorious...at least until the next challenge.


May you meet your challenges victoriously. 



No comments:

Post a Comment